U.S. deports men from Asia and Latin America to South Sudan after legal sagaNew Foto - U.S. deports men from Asia and Latin America to South Sudan after legal saga

The Trump administration said it deported a group of eight men convicted of serious crimes in the United States to the conflict-ridden African country ofSouth Sudan, following alegal sagathat had kept the deportees stuck in amilitary base in Djiboutifor weeks. Assistant Department of Homeland Security Secretary Tricia McLaughlin said the deportation flight carrying the deportees landed in South Sudan just before midnight Eastern time on Friday. A photo provided by the department showed the deportees, with their hands and feet shackled, sitting inside an aircraft, guarded by U.S. service members. The deportations to South Sudan — a country plagued by armed conflict and political instability that the U.S. government warns Americans not to visit — mark an unprecedented new frontier in President Trump's government-wide crackdown on illegal immigration. None of the deportees is from South Sudan. They hail from Cuba, Mexico, Laos, Myanmar, Sudan and Vietnam, and were ordered deported from the U.S. after being convicted of crimes, including murder, homicide, sexual assault, lascivious acts with a child and robbery. The high-profile legal battle over the fate of the men culminated when two federal judges on Friday denied a last-ditch attempt by immigration rights advocates to halt the deportations, saying their hands were tied by recent orders from the U.S. Supreme Court. The deportations signify a major political victory for the Trump administration, which has sought to convince countries around the world — irrespective of their human rights record — to accept deportees who are not their citizens, including those convicted of serious crimes. "A district judge cannot dictate the national security and foreign policy of the United States of America," said McLaughlin, the DHS spokeswoman. "This Independence Day marks another victory for the safety and security of the American people." The deportations have also alarmed human rights advocates, who fear the men could face jail time, torture or other harms in South Sudan. They've argued the deportations to South Sudan are designed to punish the men for their crimes, even though they have already served criminal sentences in the U.S. "The U.S. State Department warns Americans against all travel to South Sudan, yet deported these men there without any due process," said Trina Realmuto, an attorney for the National Immigration Litigation Alliance, which tried to halt the deportations. "Make no mistake about it, these deportations were punitive and unconstitutional." It's unclear exactly how the deportees will be treated in South Sudan. A Justice Department attorney told a federal judge Friday that South Sudan informed the U.S. it would offer the men a temporary immigration status, but the lawyer could not confirm whether they would be detained. The Trump administration has said in court filings that South Sudanese officials have made assurances that the deportees will not face torture. The men's deportation was made possible by a Supreme Court order earlier this week. At the request of the Trump administration, theSupreme Court on Thursdayclarified the scope of an earlier order it had issued to pause a lower court ruling barring deportations to third-party countries without a degree of due process and notice. That April lower court ruling by U.S. District Judge Brian Murphy in Massachusetts had required the Trump administration to give detainees sufficient notice and a chance to be interviewed by a U.S. asylum officer before any deportation to a country where they did not hail from. That case thwarted several deportation efforts, including a plan to send detainees to Libya. When he learned of the administration's plan to deport the eight men to South Sudan in May, Murphy blocked that effort, mandating the U.S. to retain custody of the detainees and to offer them a chance to contest their deportation. The administration transferred the detainees to the Camp Lemonnier naval base in Djibouti, whereU.S. officials described dangerous conditions, including concerns about malaria, rocket attacks, inadequate security protocols and triple-digit outdoor temperatures. But theSupreme Court last monthsuspended Murphy's ruling from April. And on Thursday, it said Murphy could no longer require the government to allow the detainees in Djibouti to contest their deportation, since the order underpinning that requirement had been paused. Hours later, immigrant rights advocates asked a different federal judge, Randolph Moss in Washington, D.C., to halt the deportations to South Sudan. He did so on Friday, but only briefly before saying the request should be handled by Murphy. Moss expressed concern about risks to the men's "physical safety" and said the U.S. government should not be in the business of inflicting "pain and suffering" on people who have already served their sentence, even for a "terrible crime." But he said his hands were tied, telling the advocates they needed to ask Murphy for any intervention. Later on Friday, Murphy denied the advocates' request, saying the Supreme Court orders were "binding." Death toll rises as desperate search for Texas flash flood survivors continues Sabrina Carpenter on the biggest misperceptions about her How Lady Liberty became a beacon for immigrants

U.S. deports men from Asia and Latin America to South Sudan after legal saga

U.S. deports men from Asia and Latin America to South Sudan after legal saga The Trump administration said it deported a group of eight men ...
Hundreds greet Nepal's ex-king on his birthday as support for the ousted monarch growsNew Foto - Hundreds greet Nepal's ex-king on his birthday as support for the ousted monarch grows

KATHMANDU, Nepal (AP) — Hundreds of supporters of Nepal's former king lined up outside his residence to greet him on his 74th birthday Monday as support for the ousted monarch grows in the Himalayan nation. Gyanendra Shah, who makes very few public appearances, allowed his supporters inside his house for three hours. Supporters lined up outside with flower garlands, bouquets, cards, gifts and various food items which are traditionally offered during special occasions in Nepalese culture. "Bring king back to the throne and save the country. We love our king more than our lives," chanted the loyalists, many wearing traditional attire. Nepal abolished the monarchy and turned the nation into a republic in 2008, bringing in a president as the head of the state. There has been growing demand in recent months for Shahto be reinstated as king and Hinduism to be brought back as a state religion. Royalist groups accuse the country's major political parties of corruption and failed governance and say people are frustrated with politicians. "People were looking for change and they removed the king hoping that it would be beneficial for the country, but that was very untrue and the political parties repeatedly betrayed people's trust," said retired worker Kula Prasad Bhattarai, who stood in line for hours outside the king's residence. "The politicians have damaged our nation," said Divesh Singh Hamal, another supporter. "We need to bring the king back or else our country will be finished." Gyanendra was a constitutional head of state without executive or political powers until 2005, when heseized absolute power. He disbanded the government and parliament, jailed politicians and journalists and cut off communications, declaring a state of emergency and using the army to rule the country. Support for the ousted monarch has risen in recent months. Tens of thousands of protesters demanding the restoration of the monarchy and the former king be made head of statedemonstrated in May. In March, at least two people died when another rally turned violent as supporters of the ex-kingclashed with riot police. Massive street protests in 2006 forced Gyanendra to give up his authoritarian rule, and two years later the parliament voted to abolish the monarchy. Gyanendra, who left the royal palace to live as a commoner, has not commented on the calls for the restoration of the monarchy. Despite growing support, the former king has little chance of immediately returning to power.

Hundreds greet Nepal's ex-king on his birthday as support for the ousted monarch grows

Hundreds greet Nepal's ex-king on his birthday as support for the ousted monarch grows KATHMANDU, Nepal (AP) — Hundreds of supporters of...
Farrell selects strongest British and Irish Lions squad for Brumbies game to avoid 2013 repeatNew Foto - Farrell selects strongest British and Irish Lions squad for Brumbies game to avoid 2013 repeat

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — British and Irish Lions coach Andy Farrell has selected his strongest squad of the Australian tour so far for Wednesday's game against the Brumbies, determined to avoid a repeat of the 2013 loss to the Canberra-based Super Rugby club. England lockMaro Itojereturns as captain in a second-row partnership with Ireland's Joe McCarthy in a starting lineup that includes a number of first-choice picks for the test squad. Scotland flyhalf Finn Russell will start against at No. 10 in a halves pairing with Jamison Gibson-Park. Ireland centers Bundee Aki and Garry Ringrose will start in the midfield and Blair Kinghorn will make his first start of the tour at fullback in a back three with Tommy Freeman and James Lowe. Australia-born Ireland winger Mack Hansen is among the reserves for the game against his old Super Rugby franchise. Joining him on the bench are Englad backrower Henry Pollock and England flyhalf Marcus Smith. The Brumbies have been the best performing of the Australian Super Rugby clubs, reaching the semifinals last month. "In 2013 the Brumbies beat the British and Irish Lions in Canberra and this year they were the leading Australian team in Super Rugby, so we are fully aware of the challenge in front of us," Farrell said. "It will also be a special occasion for Mack Hansen as he returns to his home town and gets the opportunity to play for and represent the Lions against some of his old teammates." The Brumbies will be well below full strength, with players involved in the Australian team preparing for the three-test series that starts July 19. Prop Lington Ieli, flanker Rory Scott, scrumhalf and captain Ryan Lonergan, center David Feliuai and winger Corey Toole will all start after being involved in the Wallabies camp before being released to train with the Brumbies last week. The Lions are 3-0 since a 28-24loss to Argentinain a warmup in Dublin before the traveling Down Under for their nine-game tour. After wins overWestern Forcein Perth,Queensland Redsin Brisbane and New South WalesWaratahsin Sydney, the Lions will play the Brumbies in Canberra on Wednesday before taking on the combined AUNZ invitational squad on Saturday in their final preparation for the test series. ___ Squads: British and Irish Lions: Blair Kinghorn (Scotland), Tommy Freeman (England), Garry Ringrose (Ireland), Bundee Aki (Ireland), James Lowe (Ireland), Finn Russell (Scotland), Jamison Gibson-Park (Ireland); Jack Conan (Ireland), Tomm Curry (England), Ollie Chessum (England), Joe McCarthy (Ireland), Maro Itoje (England, captain), Tadhg Furlong (Ireland), Dan Sheehan (Ireland), Ellis Genge (England). Reserves: Replacements: Ronan Kelleher (Ireland), Andrew Porter (Ireland), Will Stuart (England), Josh van der Flier (Ireland), Henry Pollock (England), Alex Mitchell (England), Marcus Smith (England), Mack Hansen (Ireland). Brumbies: Andy Muirhead, Ben O'Connell, Ollie Sapsford, David Feliuai, Corey Toole, Declan Meredith, Ryan Lonergan (captain); Tuaina Taii Tualima, Rory Scott, Tom Hooper, Cadeyrn Neville, Lachie Shaw, Rhys van Nek, Lachlan Lonergan, Lington Ieli. Reserves: Liam Bowron, Cameron Orr, Feao Fotuaika, Lachie Hooper, Luke Reimer, Harrison Goddard, Jack Debreczeni, Hudson Creighton. ___ AP rugby:https://apnews.com/hub/rugby

Farrell selects strongest British and Irish Lions squad for Brumbies game to avoid 2013 repeat

Farrell selects strongest British and Irish Lions squad for Brumbies game to avoid 2013 repeat CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — British and Irish ...
Oscar Piastri says he'll fuel his F1 title charge with 'frustration' at race-deciding penaltyNew Foto - Oscar Piastri says he'll fuel his F1 title charge with 'frustration' at race-deciding penalty

SILVERSTONE, England (AP) — Oscar Piastri aims to use the "frustration" he feels at the penalty whichcost him victoryat the British Grand Prix as motivation to win more races as he chases theFormula 1title. Piastri was reluctant to join in the celebrations for McLaren's fourth one-two finish of 2025 after a 10-second penalty imposed for sharp braking behind the safety car meant he finished behind teammate and title rival Lando Norris in Sunday's race. He leads Norris by eight points at the halfway point of the season. McLaren rejected Piastri's request over the radio for the team to cancel out the effect of the penalty by asking the drivers to swap places. It would have put the Australian driver back into the lead and potentially deprived Norris of an emotional first home win. "Lando didn't do anything wrong, so I don't think it would have been particularly fair to have swapped, but I thought I'd at least ask," Piastri said Sunday. "It doesn't change much for the championship. I feel like I did a good job today. I did what I needed to. That's all I need, and I will use the frustration to make sure I win some more races later." McLaren's dilemma Piastri added that he "knew what the answer was going to be" before he messaged the team, but was searching for "a small glimmer of hope." McLaren team principal Andrea Stella said the only way that Piastri would have stayed in front on Sunday would have been if the safety car came out and both McLarens stopped for fresh tires. In that event, Norris would have waited behind Piastri. "Oscar is a very fast, very strong, very determined driver. He proved that," Stella added. "It didn't lead to a win, but I'm sure it will lead to many more wins." It isn't the first time McLaren has had to deal with an awkward radio situation. Piastri's first career win at the Hungarian Grand Prix last year came when the teamordered a swapwith Norris because of pit strategy. Norris only obeyed after a lengthy wait. Inconsistent penalties Once again, F1 is debating whether the rules are enforced consistently. Piastri argued that slowing up the field before a restart is "well within the rules," a tactic he'd used earlier in the same race without incident. "I don't really get it," he said. The stewards ruled that slowing from more than 135mph to 32mph was "erratic braking" and it forced Red Bull's Max Verstappen, who was second behind Piastri at the time, to take evasive action. That left Red Bull team principal Christian Horner reviving his complaint that Mercedes' George Russell had deserved a penalty for slowing behind the safety car at theCanadian Grand Prixlast month. On that occasion, Russell braked and Verstappen, who was second, briefly overtook as he was caught unawares. Russell went on to win, with Verstappen finishing second. Red Bull's post-race protest interrupted Mercedes' victory celebrations and further strained the relationship between the teams. "I wasn't surprised to see him get a penalty. That was what you would expect," Horner said of Piastri's penalty. "It was probably more surprising that George didn't get one in Montreal, to be honest with you." Piastri, too, suggested punishing one incident but not the other seemed inconsistent. "Going back to Canada, I think you had to evade more there than you did today," Piastri said. "So I'm a bit confused, to say the least." ___ AP Auto Racing Writer Jenna Fryer contributed to this report. ___ AP auto racing:https://apnews.com/hub/auto-racing

Oscar Piastri says he'll fuel his F1 title charge with 'frustration' at race-deciding penalty

Oscar Piastri says he'll fuel his F1 title charge with 'frustration' at race-deciding penalty SILVERSTONE, England (AP) — Oscar ...
Tesla shares fall as Musk's 'America Party' riles investorsNew Foto - Tesla shares fall as Musk's 'America Party' riles investors

LONDON (Reuters) -Tesla shares fell over 3% on Monday, under pressure from investor concerns about the focus of boss Elon Musk after he announced he would form a new U.S. political party, marking a new escalation in his feud with President Donald Trump. Tesla stock fell over 3% in Frankfurt, pointing to another decline once premarket trading gets underway following the three-day weekend for Independence Day. Veteran tech analyst Dan Ives of Wedbush said Musk was Tesla's "biggest asset" and his decision to dive deeper into politics would likely put the company's shares under pressure. "Tesla needs Musk as CEO and its biggest asset and not heading down the political route yet again...while at the same time getting on Trump's bad side," Ives said in a note on Sunday. "It would also not shock us if the Tesla board gets involved at some point given the political nature of this endeavour depending on how far Musk takes it." Trump on Sunday called Musk's plans to form the "America Party" "ridiculous," launching new barbs at the tech billionaire and saying the Musk ally he once named to lead NASA would have presented a conflict of interest given Musk's business interests in space. (Reporting by Amanda Cooper; Editing by Alun John)

Tesla shares fall as Musk's 'America Party' riles investors

Tesla shares fall as Musk's 'America Party' riles investors LONDON (Reuters) -Tesla shares fell over 3% on Monday, under pressur...
Russian President Vladimir Putin dismisses transport minister StarovoitNew Foto - Russian President Vladimir Putin dismisses transport minister Starovoit

MOSCOW (Reuters) -Russian President Vladimir Putin fired his transport minister on Monday, according to a presidential decree, removing Roman Starovoit from his post after just over a year in the job. No reason was given for Starovoit's unexpected dismissal. He was appointed transport minister in May 2024 after spending almost five years as governor of Russia's western Kursk region. A few months after vacating that role, Ukrainian troops spilled over the border into Kursk as Kyiv launched its biggest incursion into Russian territory since the start of the war in 2022. Starovoit's predecessor as transport minister, Vitaly Savelyev, became a deputy prime minister. According to the Vedomosti daily newspaper, Starovoit's replacement could be his deputy minister Andrei Nikitin, who was formerly governor of the Novgorod Region. Prior to serving as a regional governor, Starovoit had worked in the transport sector, leading Russia's federal roads agency Rosavtodor for six years. (Reporting by Reuters, Gleb Stolyarov, Anastasia Teterevleva; Writing by Alexander Marrow; editing by Andrew Osborn)

Russian President Vladimir Putin dismisses transport minister Starovoit

Russian President Vladimir Putin dismisses transport minister Starovoit MOSCOW (Reuters) -Russian President Vladimir Putin fired his transpo...
PHOTO COLLECTION: Best of Wimbledon Tennis Fourth RoundNew Foto - PHOTO COLLECTION: Best of Wimbledon Tennis Fourth Round

This is a photo collection curated by AP photo editors.

PHOTO COLLECTION: Best of Wimbledon Tennis Fourth Round

PHOTO COLLECTION: Best of Wimbledon Tennis Fourth Round This is a photo collection curated by AP photo editors.

 

MARIO VOUX © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com