MLB reinstates 4 players after yearlong bans for betting on baseballNew Foto - MLB reinstates 4 players after yearlong bans for betting on baseball

Major League Baseball'sone-year suspensionsfor betting on the sport ended for four players Thursday — San Diego starter Jay Groome, Athletics relief pitcher Michael Kelly, Philadelphia infielder José Rodríguez and Arizona reliever Andrew Saalfrank. The A's announced they reinstated Kelly along with left-hander T.J. McFarland, who was on the injured list. They optioned right-handers Elvis Alvarado and Justin Sterner to Triple-A Las Vegas to make room on their big league roster. Saalfrank was optioned to the Diamondbacks' rookie-level Arizona Complex League. The Padres have not announced their plans for Groome, but the Athletic reported he was not offered a contract, making him a free agent. The Phillies have not announced their intentions regarding Rodríguez. Kelly was suspended for betting on baseball while in the minor leagues, and the other three minor leaguers were penalized for betting on big league games. Each player wagered less than $1,000. Saalfrank and Rodríguez played previously in the majors. The players violated Major League Rule 21, which is posted in every clubhouse. They were handed mandatory one-year suspensions for betting on games in which they did not participate. If they had bet on any games they attended in person — even if they didn't play — they would have been banned for life. ___ AP MLB:https://apnews.com/hub/MLB

MLB reinstates 4 players after yearlong bans for betting on baseball

MLB reinstates 4 players after yearlong bans for betting on baseball Major League Baseball'sone-year suspensionsfor betting on the sport...
Caitlin Clark says she's made progress, but won't commit to return date after injury: 'I'm not going to rush my way back'New Foto - Caitlin Clark says she's made progress, but won't commit to return date after injury: 'I'm not going to rush my way back'

The Indiana Fever got some positive news Thursday. Star guard Caitlin Clark has made strong progress aftersustaining a left quad injury in May. While Clark wouldn't commit to a return date, it appears she's inching closer to a return. Clark made her first public comments Thursday since sustaining that injury. The 23-year-old said she would be reevaluated over the weekend, meaning she'll miss the team's game against the Chicago Sky on Saturday. Clark left the door open for a return ahead of the team's game against the Atlanta Dream on Tuesday, though. She is going to be reevaulated this weekend and will for sure miss Chicago.She didn't rule out returning at Atlanta on Tuesday, but also didn't promise anything."I've made a lot of progress and I feel good, but I'm not going to rush my way back if it's not worth it."https://t.co/04eZKuXBfA — Chloe Peterson (@chloepeterson67)June 5, 2025 Clark has already missed three games due to the injury, which she sustained during theteam's 90-88 lossto the New York Liberty on May 24. Clark said Thursday that she didn't know when she sustained the injury, saying adrenaline covered up her pain during the contest. Two days after that loss, theFever announced Clark's injury. In its initial injury report, the team said it expected Clark to miss two weeks due to the issue. This injury was unrelated to the one that caused Clark to miss the team's first preseason game. Clark sat out of that contest due to a left quad injury, but was able to return ahead of the team's second preseason game. The Fever have gone 1-2 in Clark's absence. After dropping the first two games without Clark, the team defeated the Washington Mystics on Tuesday, picking up its first win since Clark's injury. Clark was off to a strong start prior to the injury. In four games, she averaged 19 points, 9.3 assists and 6 rebounds. Those figures were extremely close to what Clark averaged as a rookie, when she finished fourth in the MVP voting. Kelsey Mitchell and Aliyah Boston have stepped it up on offense in Clark's absence. Both players have scored double-digit points in every game since Clark's injury. They'll look to make it four in a row when the Fever take on the Sky on Saturday.

Caitlin Clark says she's made progress, but won't commit to return date after injury: 'I’m not going to rush my way back'

Caitlin Clark says she's made progress, but won't commit to return date after injury: 'I'm not going to rush my way back...
Pentagon to make change to military oversight of Greenland: reportNew Foto - Pentagon to make change to military oversight of Greenland: report

ILULISSAT, Greenland − The Pentagon is planning to put its military oversight of Greenland under U.S. Northern Command, according to a report, a largely symbolic gesture that comes as PresidentDonald Trumpcontinues to press for the world's largest island to break from Denmark. Greenlandis currently the purview of U.S. European Command, which is headquartered in Germany. U.S. Northern Command is in charge of defending the U.S. homeland and the shift more closely aligns with Trump's pledge to take control of the Danish territory. Politico first reportedthe planned redrawing of the Pentagon's command map. Trump talked about acquiring Greenland during his first term. But since winning reelection he has repeatedly riffed on the strategic importance of Greenland for U.S. national security including, missile defense programs and keeping tabs on Russian and Chinese naval activity in the Arctic. Greenland is also rich in natural resources such as oil, gold and rare earths minerals. 'One way or the other':Five ways Trump's Greenland saga could play out Denmark and the semi-autonomous Faroe Islands will remain under U.S. European Command, according to Politico, effectively creating a symbolic and operational split between those territories. The Pentagon's move is sure to anger Denmark, which has repeatedly stressed that Greenland is not for sale and Trump's stated position does not amount to serious discussion. The Danish Embassy in Washington, D.C. did not return a request for comment. Nor did the Joint Arctic Command, Denmark's Greenland-based Arctic security mission that consists of units such as inspection ships, patrol vessels, aircraft, helicopters and the Sirius Dog Sled Patrol. 'Buy us!':Greenlanders shocked, intrigued, bewildered by Trump zeal for Arctic territory A U.S. Department of Defense spokesperson said there were no announcements to make and deferred all questions about the move to the White House, which declined comment. The Pentagon has 11combatant commands– four functional, such as U.S. Special Operations Command and U.S. Cyber Command, and seven based on geography. This article originally appeared on USA TODAY:Pentagon to change military oversight of Greenland: report

Pentagon to make change to military oversight of Greenland: report

Pentagon to make change to military oversight of Greenland: report ILULISSAT, Greenland − The Pentagon is planning to put its military overs...
Trump explains why Egypt was not part of travel ban after citing Boulder attackNew Foto - Trump explains why Egypt was not part of travel ban after citing Boulder attack

WASHINGTON —President Donald Trumpsays he did not include Egyptin a travel ban, which he tied to aterror attackallegedly carried out by an Egyptian national, because the United States works closely with the Arab nation. "Egypt has been a country that we deal with very closely. They have things under control. The countries that we have don't have things under control," Trump told reporters in the Oval Office on June 5. In introducing the partial or complete ban on travel from citizens of 19 nations on June 4, Trump cited the Boulder, Colorado, attack that took place at an event raising awareness about Israeli hostages. The suspect in the case,Mohamed Sabry Soliman, is an Egyptian man who entered the U.S. on a tourist visit that he overstayed after applying for asylum, federal officials say. More:Trump's travel ban is his fourth attempt. See how list compares to 2017 Yet, thetravel banthat Trump unveiled days later did not include Egypt, raising questions about the timing and purpose of the ban, which the president's critics say unfairly targets African and Muslim-majority nations. Trump requested that the State Department and other national security officials put together a list of countries for potential visa restrictions in an executive order just after taking office. Butnothing came of it for months, until the Boulder attack, which he blamed on the previous administration. "We want to keep bad people out of our country. The Biden administration allowed some horrendous people," Trump said in the Oval Office, as he touted his deportation policies. Egypt hasacted as acentral mediator alongside the United States and Qatar in the conflict between Israel and Hamas, helping to establish a ceasefire and secure the release of prisoners and hostages. The United States had conducted joint training exercises with Egypt since 1980 and considers the Arab nation that has been ruled by Abdel Fattah El-Sisi since 2014 a regional partner. The Egyptian embassy in Washington did not immediately respond to a request for comment. This article originally appeared on USA TODAY:Trump explains why Egypt was not included in travel ban

Trump explains why Egypt was not part of travel ban after citing Boulder attack

Trump explains why Egypt was not part of travel ban after citing Boulder attack WASHINGTON —President Donald Trumpsays he did not include Eg...
Olympic champ Imane Khelif skips Eindhoven event after World Boxing introduces mandatory sex testingNew Foto - Olympic champ Imane Khelif skips Eindhoven event after World Boxing introduces mandatory sex testing

EINDHOVEN, Netherlands (AP) — Olympic champion Imane Khelif is skipping the Eindhoven Box Cup in the Netherlands less than a week after World Boxing announcedmandatory sex testingfor all athletes. The Algerian boxer, who won gold at the Paris Games last summer amid scrutiny over her eligibility, did not register in time for the event before applications closed on Thursday. "The decision of Imane's exclusion is not ours. We regret it," tournament media director Dirk Renders told The Associated Press. The 26-year-old Khelif had intended to return to international competition at the Eindhoven tournament this weekend before World Boxing announced its new sex testing policy last Friday. The governing body specifically mentioned Khelif, saying she'd have to screened to be approved to fight at any upcoming events, including the Eindhoven Box Cup. Eindhoven mayor Jeroen Dijsselbloem criticized World Boxing's decision. "As far as we are concerned, all athletes are welcome in Eindhoven. Excluding athletes based on controversial 'gender tests' certainly does not fit in with that," Dijsselbloem wrote in a letter addressed to the Dutch Boxing Federation and International Boxing Federation. "We are expressing our disapproval of this decision today and are calling on the organization to admit Imane Khelif after all." Khelif won a gold medal at the Paris Olympics last summer amid international scrutiny on her and Taiwan's Lin Yu-ting, another gold medal winner. The previous governing body for Olympic boxing, the Russian-dominated International Boxing Association, had disqualified both fighters from its 2023 world championships after claiming they failed unspecified eligibility tests. But the IBA was banished for decades of misdeeds and controversy. The IOC ran the past two Olympic boxing tournaments in its place and it applied the sex eligibility rules used in previous Olympics. Khelif and Lin were eligible to compete under those standards. World Boxing has since been provisionally approved as the boxing organizer at the 2028 Los Angeles Games and has faced pressure from boxers and their federations to create sex eligibility standards. Its president, Boris van der Vorst,apologized after Khelif was singled outin the governing body's announcement last week. Khelif planned to defend her welterweight gold medal at the LA Games, but some boxers and their federations have already spoken out against her inclusion. Khelif won gold at the Eindhoven event last year, defeating Australia's Marissa Williamson-Pohlman in the final — in a warmup to the Paris Olympics. The Algerian also competed at the Tokyo Games in 2021 — in the lightweight division, losing in the quarterfinals to eventual gold medalist Kellie Harrington of Ireland. ___ AP boxing:https://apnews.com/boxing

Olympic champ Imane Khelif skips Eindhoven event after World Boxing introduces mandatory sex testing

Olympic champ Imane Khelif skips Eindhoven event after World Boxing introduces mandatory sex testing EINDHOVEN, Netherlands (AP) — Olympic c...
'The heat got to us:' Giants' practice ends with a fight as players push, shove and throw punchesNew Foto - 'The heat got to us:' Giants' practice ends with a fight as players push, shove and throw punches

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) — TheNew York Giantswent from running plays to squaring off, ready to rumble in the middle of the field. Punches were thrown and helmets — and players — tossed aside. And they haven't even made it to minicamp yet. "The heat got to us," edge rusher Brian Burns said Thursday after the Giants' sixth practice of organized team activities. On a day when temperatures reached around 90 degrees with high humidity, tempers flared toward the end of a voluntary practice session. First, Burns and left tackle James Hudson started pushing and shoving each other before the two took off their helmets and squared up as if they were going to fight. "I would say it was just a conversation that we had," Burns said with a grin. "Same old (stuff)." Players intervened and Burns and Hudson were sent to their sidelines by coaches. But on the next play, edge rusher Kayvon Thibodeaux and offensive tackle Jermaine Eluemunor got into it and Thibodeaux took a swing at his teammate. That led to more pushing and Hudson charged off the sideline and tackled Thibodeaux — and Burns joined in as he and a few players ended up on the ground. "I mean, it's just, it's a violent sport we play," Burns said. "You know, guys trying to get better. Tensions raised a little high. The heat is getting a little hotter, so guys get a little more agitated. But it ain't that deep. We squashed it." But it also ended practice. After the skirmishes, coach Brian Daboll huddled the team and the on-field activities were done for the day. "I feel like it's healthy, at times," Burns said. "I feel like it's healthy to a certain extent, though. You still want to get your work done at the end of the day, but that competition and that dog, that edge, that we need to have is needed. Got to keep it up." And it wasn't necessarily the first time tempers have flared. Sort of. "Yeah, this happens all the time," Burns said, making light of the situation. "We fight over food, we fight over ping-pong, pool, whatever it is. It happens all the time. This ain't nothing but a little brotherhood." Burns insisted teams need to have an edge, but it can't get in the way of the work that has to be done. "The only thing I'm mad about is we had to go ahead and call it up," he said. "But, I mean, we got most of our work done today. But I just want to stay away from that and I'm going to let it be known to the team, like, that's not what we're doing. We've got to keep our minds set on the main thing, which is football. All that horseplay and all that stuff is cool or whatever, a nice edge and everything like that, but we do have to get to the details and get our work done." Quarterback Russell Wilson, who's in his 14th NFL season and first with the Giants, downplayed the heated ending. "I think we're all competing and trying to be the best version of us and everything else," Wilson said. "A lot of times when you have a long practice like the way we did, the way we're working, things happen. Every great team I've been on, there's been a couple of those. ... Nothing to worry about." ___ AP NFL:https://apnews.com/hub/nfl

'The heat got to us:' Giants' practice ends with a fight as players push, shove and throw punches

'The heat got to us:' Giants' practice ends with a fight as players push, shove and throw punches EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) — T...
US Health Secretary Kennedy looks to fast-tracking approvals for rare disease drugsNew Foto - US Health Secretary Kennedy looks to fast-tracking approvals for rare disease drugs

By Sneha S K and Sriparna Roy (Reuters) -Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. said on Thursday that the U.S. drugs regulator would look for ways to fast-track approval for rare disease treatments and remove obstacles to their path to market. Kennedy made the comments at a U.S. Food and Drug Administration meeting to discuss cell and gene therapies, where panelists called for faster regulatory processes as they warned that other countries may overtake the U.S. in drug development. "We are going to continue to figure out new ways of accelerating approvals for drugs and treatments that treat rare diseases, and we're going to make this country the hub of biotechnology innovation," Kennedy said. Other members included industry executives, researchers and FDA staffers, among them Vinay Prasad, the FDA's top vaccine and biologics official. The appointment of Prasad as the head of the FDA's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research had stoked fears that he could raise the bar for companies to get approval for new drugs, including what are known as accelerated approvals for new potential treatments of serious conditions. Prasad vowed at the meeting to rapidly make therapies available at the first sign or promise of biomedical success or action. Shares of therapy developers Sarepta, Dyne Therapeutics and Lexeo Therapeutics were trading between 1% and 3% higher in afternoon trading. U.S.-listed shares of uniQure rose 8.19% to $16.18. Panel members said that the slower regulatory process for rare disease treatments risks the United States' position as a leader in the biotechnology sector at a time when drug development in China is accelerating. "The path to approval is seen as so arduous. If firms feel there is no credible way to get new products approved here, they will simply relocate trials overseas or abandon them," panel member Carl June from University of Pennsylvania. "We cannot afford that exodus," said June. (Reporting by Sneha S K and Sriparna Roy in Bengaluru; Editing by Alan Barona)

US Health Secretary Kennedy looks to fast-tracking approvals for rare disease drugs

US Health Secretary Kennedy looks to fast-tracking approvals for rare disease drugs By Sneha S K and Sriparna Roy (Reuters) -Health and Hum...

 

MARIO VOUX © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com