Far-right lawmaker Wilders pulls his party out of ruling Dutch coalition in dispute over migrationNew Foto - Far-right lawmaker Wilders pulls his party out of ruling Dutch coalition in dispute over migration

THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — Far-right lawmaker Geert Wilders pulled his party out of the ruling four-party Dutch coalition Tuesday in dispute over a crackdown on migration, sparking a political crisis and possibly the end of the 11-month-old government of Prime Minister Dick Schoof. Wilders announced his decision in a message on X after a brief meeting in parliament of leaders of the four parties that make up the fractious administration. The government crisis comes just three weeks before the Netherlands is scheduled to host a summit ofNATOleaders in The Hague. Dilan Yesilgöz, leader of the right-wing People's Party for Freedom and Democracy, said before the meeting that Schoof urged the leaders to act responsibly. "The Prime Minister who appealed to us this morning said that we are facing enormous international challenges, we have a war on our continent, an economic crisis may be coming our way," Yesilgöz told reporters in parliament. But just minutes later, the meeting was over and so was Wilders' involvement in the government. "I'm shocked," Yesilgöz said, calling Wilders' decision "super-irresponsible." After years in opposition, Wilders' party won the last election on pledges to slash migration. He has grown increasingly frustrated at what he sees as the slow pace of the coalition's efforts to implement his plans. Last week,Wilders demandedcoalition partners sign on to a 10-point plan that aims to radically slash migration, including using the army to guard land borders and turning away all asylum-seekers. He said that ifimmigrationpolicy is not toughened up, his party "is out of the Cabinet."

Far-right lawmaker Wilders pulls his party out of ruling Dutch coalition in dispute over migration

Far-right lawmaker Wilders pulls his party out of ruling Dutch coalition in dispute over migration THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — Far-right l...
US-India nearing trade deal as talks progress, commerce secretary saysNew Foto - US-India nearing trade deal as talks progress, commerce secretary says

By Manoj Kumar NEW DELHI (Reuters) -Trade negotiations between the United States and India are making progress and a deal could be finalised soon, U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick said on Monday, as both sides push to conclude talks ahead of a July deadline. "You should expect a deal between United States and India (in the ) not-too-distant future because I think we have found a place that really works for both countries," Lutnick said at the annual summit of the US-India Strategic Partnership Forum in Washington. Lutnick later posted a short video of his remarks on social media platform X, saying "We have a great relationship between the countries. I'm optimistic for a trade deal soon that will benefit both nations." Reuters reported earlier that the Trump administration had asked trade partners to submit their best offers by Wednesday, as officials work towards finalising several deals ahead of a self-imposed July 9 deadline. India's trade ministry declined to comment on the timeline. However, Rajesh Agrawal, India's chief negotiator for talks with the U.S., said last week that trade talks between the two countries were progressing well, and that a "good outcome" was expected soon. A U.S. trade delegation is scheduled to visit New Delhi on June 5-6 for further discussions. An Indian team had visited Washington in April, and Trade Minister Piyush Goyal also visited last month to push trade talks. Lutnick said Washington was seeking lower tariffs particularly on agricultural products, greater market access for U.S. firms, and increased purchases of defence equipment, with an aim of reducing its trade deficit with India. In return, it was prepared to expand access for Indian exports. "India is a very protectionist country," he said, noting tariffs of up to 100% on some products. "We would like our businesses to have reasonable market access." He said strong ties between President Donald Trump and Prime Minister Narendra Modi were helping ease negotiations. (Reporting by Manoj Kumar, Editing by William Maclean)

US-India nearing trade deal as talks progress, commerce secretary says

US-India nearing trade deal as talks progress, commerce secretary says By Manoj Kumar NEW DELHI (Reuters) -Trade negotiations between the U...
Lakers, Mavericks to play an exhibition game in Las Vegas that they decided to schedule: Will Luka Dončić, Cooper Flagg play?New Foto - Lakers, Mavericks to play an exhibition game in Las Vegas that they decided to schedule: Will Luka Dončić, Cooper Flagg play?

The Los Angeles Lakers and Dallas Mavericks will play a preseason exhibition game in Las Vegas. This is a decision made not by the NBA, but by the two teams that completed one of the most controversial trades in sports history just months ago when the Mavericks dealt Luka Dončić to the Lakers. Since that trade, the Lakers flamed out of the first round of the playoffs, and the Mavericks won the NBA Draft lottery. Dallas will presumably select Duke phenom Cooper Flagg, who will be immediately handed the torch that Dončić carried as the team's franchise player and long-term hope for championship success. Will Flagg, Dončić or both see the court in the game scheduled for Oct. 15 at T-Mobile Arena? Who knows? But the Lakers and Mavericks seem content to cash in on the hype in a matchup that should garner considerably more attention than your average NBA preseason contest. TheLakers confirmed the existence of the gameMonday. And to be clear, this is a game that both teams chose to schedule, as is custom with the NBA preseason. AsThe Athletic explainedin a feature on the NBA preseason last fall: "Teams arrange their own schedules, pick their own opponents and have their own reasons for doing so. ... There are few rules for the preseason. They don't even play games if they don't want to. The NBA doesn't mandate a minimum number of games, just that teams can't play more than six each year. The rest is up to the teams themselves." When will the Lakers and Mavericks play in a game that actually counts? That's yet to be determined. The NBA schedule generally isn't set until August. Until then, both teams will maintain their collective buzz amid the bright lights of the Las Vegas Strip.

Lakers, Mavericks to play an exhibition game in Las Vegas that they decided to schedule: Will Luka Dončić, Cooper Flagg play?

Lakers, Mavericks to play an exhibition game in Las Vegas that they decided to schedule: Will Luka Dončić, Cooper Flagg play? The Los Angele...
The 49ers complete trade to acquire edge rusher Bryce Huff from the Eagles for a mid-round pickNew Foto - The 49ers complete trade to acquire edge rusher Bryce Huff from the Eagles for a mid-round pick

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) — The San Francisco 49ers have completed the trade with the Philadelphia Eagles for edge rusher Bryce Huff. Huff restructured his contractwith the Eagles last week to help facilitate the trade that will send a 2026 mid-round pick to Philadelphia and the teams announced it on Monday, pending a physical. Huff was set to make $17 million in fully guaranteed money this year. The Eagles will pay $9.05 million of that with the 49ers on the hook for the remaining $7.95 million, ESPN reported last week. The move to acquire Huff gives San Francisco another needed option at edge rusher across from star Nick Bosa and reunites Huff with Robert Saleh, who was his head coach at the New York Jets during his most productive season in 2023. Huff had 10 sacks that season and recorded 67 pressures on just 334 pass rush snaps, according to Pro Football Focus. Huff translated that breakthrough season into a three-year, $51.1 million deal with the Eagles. He had only 2 1/2 sacks and 23 pressures in his one season in Philadelphia, missing five games witha wrist injury. He was then a healthy scratch in the Super Bowl. Huff was originally an undrafted free agent by the Jets in 2020 out of Memphis. He had 7 1/2 sacks in his first three seasons before the breakthrough campaign under Saleh in 2023. The Niners were in need of another pass rusher after cutting Leonard Floyd early in the offseason. They drafted Mykel Williams 11th overall in April but had no other defensive end who had a season with at least five sacks in the NFL. Yetur Gross-Matos is the only other edge rusher on the roster with extensive experience. Gross-Matos had four sacks last season in his first year with San Francisco. The Eagles have undergone significant changes at edge rusher this offseason withBrandon Graham retiringand Josh Sweat leaving tosign with Arizonain free agency. Philadelphia is counting on increased contributions from returning players Nolan Smith and Jalyx Hunt and has also signed Azeez Ojulari and Joshua Uche in free agency. ___ AP NFL:https://apnews.com/hub/nfl

The 49ers complete trade to acquire edge rusher Bryce Huff from the Eagles for a mid-round pick

The 49ers complete trade to acquire edge rusher Bryce Huff from the Eagles for a mid-round pick SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) — The San Francisco...
Suspect planned to kill all in group he called 'Zionist,' but appeared to have second thoughtsNew Foto - Suspect planned to kill all in group he called 'Zionist,' but appeared to have second thoughts

BOULDER, Colo. (AP) — A man in Boulder disguised as a gardener who wounded12 peoplein an attack on a group holding theirweekly demonstrationfor the release of Israeli hostages in Gaza had planned to kill them all but appeared to have second thoughts, according to authorities. Mohamed Sabry Soliman had 18 Molotov cocktails but threw just two during Sunday's attack in which he yelled "Free Palestine," police said. He didn't carry out his full plan "because he got scared and had never hurt anyone before," police wrote in an affidavit. The two incendiary devices he did throw into the group of about 20 people were enough to wound more than half of them, and authorities said he expressed no regrets about the attack. The 45-year-old Soliman — whose first name also was spelled Mohammed in some court documents — planned the attack for more than a year and specifically targeted what he described as a "Zionist group," authorities said in court papers charging him with a federal hate crime. "When he was interviewed about the attack, he said he wanted them all to die, he had no regrets and he would go back and do it again," Acting U.S. Attorney J. Bishop Grewell for the District of Colorado said during a news conference Monday. Federal and state prosecutors filed separate criminal cases against Soliman, charging him with a hate crime and attempted murder, respectively. He faces additional state charges related to the incendiary devices, and more charges are possible in federal court, where the Justice Department will seek a grand jury indictment. Soliman is being held on a $10 million, cash-only bond, prosecutors said. His next court hearing is set for Thursday. An FBI affidavit says Soliman told the police he was driven by a desire "to kill all Zionist people," a reference to the movement to establish and protect a Jewish state in Israel. Soliman's attorney, public defender Kathryn Herold, declined to comment after the hearing. Soliman was living in the U.S. illegally after entering the country in August 2022 on a B2 visa that expired in February 2023, Department of Homeland Security Assistant Secretary Tricia McLaughlin said in a post on the social platform X. The burst of violence at the popular Pearl Street pedestrian mall in downtown Boulder unfolded against the backdrop of theIsrael-Hamas war, which continues to inflame global tensions and has contributed to a spike in antisemitic violence in the United States. The attack happened on the beginning of theJewish holiday of Shavuotand barely a week after a man who also yelled "Free Palestine" was charged withfatally shooting two Israeli Embassy staffersoutside a Jewish museum in Washington. Six victims hospitalized The victims who were wounded range in age from 52 to 88, and the injuries spanned from serious to minor, officials said. Six of the injured were taken to hospitals, and four have since been released, said Miri Kornfeld, a Denver-based organizer connected to the group. She said the clothing of one of those who remains hospitalized caught on fire. Members of the volunteer group called Run For Their Lives were holding their weekly demonstration when the attack happened. Video from the scene captured by witness Alex Osante of San Diego shows people pouring water on a woman lying on the ground who Osante said had caught fire during the attack. Molotov cocktails found Osante said that after the suspect threw the two incendiary devices, apparently catching himself on fire as he threw the second, he took off his shirt and what appeared to be a bulletproof vest before police arrived. The man dropped to the ground and was arrested without any apparent resistance in the video Osante filmed. The Molotov cocktails were made up of glass wine carafe bottles or jars with clear liquid and red rags hanging out of the them, the FBI said. "He stated that he had been planning the attack for a year and was waiting until after his daughter graduated to conduct the attack," the affidavit says. He had gas in a backpack sprayer but told investigators he didn't spray it on anyone but himself "because he had planned on dying." Soliman also told investigators he took a concealed carry class and tried to buy a gun but was denied because he is not a legal U.S. citizen. Suspect hospitalized after attack Authorities said they believe Soliman acted alone. He was also injured and taken to a hospital. Authorities did not elaborate on the nature of his injuries, but a booking photo showed him with a large bandage over one ear. Soliman, who was born in Egypt, moved three years ago to Colorado Springs, where he lived with his wife and five kids, according to state court documents. He previously spent 17 years living in Kuwait. McLaughlin said Soliman filed for asylum in September 2022 and was granted a work authorization in March 2023 that had expired. DHS did not respond to requests for additional information. ___ Tucker reported from Washington.

Suspect planned to kill all in group he called 'Zionist,' but appeared to have second thoughts

Suspect planned to kill all in group he called 'Zionist,' but appeared to have second thoughts BOULDER, Colo. (AP) — A man in Boulde...
Israel says 3 soldiers killed in Gaza in deadliest attack on its forces since a truce ended in MarchNew Foto - Israel says 3 soldiers killed in Gaza in deadliest attack on its forces since a truce ended in March

KHAN YOUNIS, Gaza Strip (AP) — The Israeli military said Tuesday that three of its soldiers were killedin the Gaza Strip, in what appeared to be the deadliest attack on Israel's forces since it ended a ceasefire with Hamas in March. The military said the three soldiers, all in their early 20s, fell during combat in northern Gaza on Monday, without providing details. Israeli media reported that they were killed in an explosion in the Jabaliya area. Israel ended the ceasefirein March after Hamas refused to change the agreement to release more hostages sooner. Israeli strikes have killed thousands of Palestinians since then, according to Gaza's Health Ministry. Hamas-led militants killed some 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and took 251 people hostage in the Oct. 7, 2023, attack into Israel that ignited the war. They are still holding 58 hostages, a third of them believed to be alive, after most of the rest were released in ceasefire agreements or other deals. Israel's military campaign has killed over 54,000 Palestinians, mostly women and children, according to the Gaza Health Ministry, which does not say how many of the dead were civilians or combatants. Israel says it has killed around 20,000 militants, without providing evidence. Around 860 Israeli soldiers have been killed since the Oct. 7 attack, including more than 400 during the fighting inside Gaza. ___ Follow AP's war coverage athttps://apnews.com/hub/israel-hamas-war

Israel says 3 soldiers killed in Gaza in deadliest attack on its forces since a truce ended in March

Israel says 3 soldiers killed in Gaza in deadliest attack on its forces since a truce ended in March KHAN YOUNIS, Gaza Strip (AP) — The Isra...
Threats directed at Astros' Lance McCullers came from bettor overseas, according to Houston policeNew Foto - Threats directed at Astros' Lance McCullers came from bettor overseas, according to Houston police

The person who sentonline death threatstoHouston AstrospitcherLance McCullers, mentioning his two children in the messages, has been identified as an overseas sports bettor, the Houston Police Department revealed on Monday. No charges have been filed in the investigation, but are still being considered, according to an HPD spokesperson. The identity and location of the suspect were not disclosed. However, the man apparently told police that he had gambled on an Astros game, lost money and was intoxicated when he sent the threats to McCullers. Additionally, the suspect expressed remorse for his actions and asked for an apology to be relayed to McCullers and his family, the police spokesperson said. While the investigation is still open as charges are being considered, Houston police appear to have reached a conclusion in the case. McCullers received the threats after allowing seven runs in 1/3 of an inning duringhis May 10 startagainst theCincinnati Reds. He faced eight batters in his second appearance since returning fromflexor tendon surgeryin June 2023. After McCullers received the threats, he alerted Astros management to ask what could be done, and team owner Jim Crane hired 24-hour security for him,the Associated Press reported. Additionally, the team notified MLB security and the HPD. McCullers alsodeleted his account on X. Though the person threatening McCullers and his children has apparently been identified by police, the incident drew attention to the increasing online abuse MLB players (and other professional athletes) are receiving on a regular basis. The escalating amount of the threats is attributed to legalized sports betting and fans lashing out at players for wagers being lost. Boston Red SoxrelieverLiam Hendriksspoke out against such threats afterhe and his wife were threatenedon social media afterhe gave up three runsduring a May 21 game versus theNew York Mets. Consequently, MLB teams have taken measures to identify such fans. Finding them can be difficult, but Houston police were obviously successful in tracking down the person threatening McCullers. Otherwise, the Astros and Red Sox have increased security and police presence in sections where players' families are seated at home and road games, along with traveling parties.

Threats directed at Astros' Lance McCullers came from bettor overseas, according to Houston police

Threats directed at Astros' Lance McCullers came from bettor overseas, according to Houston police The person who sentonline death threa...

 

MARIO VOUX © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com